Subject: Re: build.sh fails because of missing MAKEDEV
To: Thierry Lacoste <th.lacoste@wanadoo.fr>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2005 20:33:57
On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 20:17 +0100, Thierry Lacoste wrote:
> > Try to rm /usr/src/etc/MAKEDEV (yes, the source file); it shouldn't
> > be there.
> >
> > I guess you ran etcupdate in the past without the -b flag (or a build
> > without the -O switch)... am I right?
> I always follow http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating
> So I _always_ use the -O switch with build and _never_ the -b flag
> with etcupdate ; what is it for ?
> I usually run /usr/sbin/etcupdate -s /usr/src/etc

Then, that's the problem.  While this is conceptually correct, doing
so runs "make" within src/etc, which leaves some stale files (i.e.,
MAKEDEV); these later break the build.

This is broken.  I don't know if it has been recently fixed, but I used
to have that problem for a long time.  Since then, I always unpack
etc.tgz on a temporary directory and use etcupdate's -b flag.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/