Subject: Re: PAM enabled on head
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/08/2005 08:56:45
--XMCwj5IQnwKtuyBG

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 10:41:46AM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
>=20
> Right now you could update the system without populating /etc before you =
boot with
> the new binaries, ok something could fail, but not in such a major way th=
at you
> could no longer login.
> Updates of /etc is allways not easy.

I must disagree with that statement. Check out etcupdate. It's REALLY=20
EASY. I used to detest updating /etc, now it's easy.

After I untar the tarballs (I update via release builds),

cd /tmp
mkdir temp
cd temp
tar xzpf /tarball/path/etc.tgz
cd ..
etcupdate -b /tmp/temp
[answer all the questions]

Most files I either just install, 'cause they are files I didn't modify,=20
or I skip, because they are files that have only my changes; there are no=
=20
NetBSD changes to them. So most of the merging goes quickly.

Take care,

Bill

--XMCwj5IQnwKtuyBG

--XMCwj5IQnwKtuyBG--