Subject: Re: USB mouse dies
To: <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 03/06/2005 15:22:07
In message <20050304191857.BEEC23BFE41@berkshire.machshav.com>, "Steven M. Bell
ovin" writes:

>>I've noticed that placing a mini-fridge on the same power strip as my noteboo
>>ac adapter causes the same thing to happen sometimes at exactly the moment
>>when the compressor cycles on. I think this has happened under windows a few
>>times too, so perhaps it's really a hardware problem. I use optical mice,
>>which I believe use about 100mA of current from the bus, so combinations
>>of hardware and usb peripherals which use modest amounts of juice have simila
>>problems.
>>
>>This is just a hypothesis. I can't back it up, nor have I tested it. I can
>>think of a few reasons why it shouldn't be true. I do know that since
>>I've rearranged my power cables it happens much less freqeuntly than it used
>>to.
>
>Interesting.  I'm about to move one of the affected machines to a UPS;
>I'll see what happens.

I now have two incidents where there was a failure immediately
subsequent to a power-related event.  I haven't yet established if it's
a line voltage problem or inductive coupling to the USB cable.  I'm
willing to call this part of the problem solved -- the question now is
what, if anything, NetBSD can do about it.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb