Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: Asmodehn Shade <asmodehn@free.fr>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@tastylime.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/05/2005 07:05:05
--------------enig55C939E6591BE943B187DC7D

Asmodehn Shade wrote:

> Just wonder what nobody here seems to used the etcupdate package... It
> is quite simple to use, and it make that update part easy. Is there
> anything you don't like about it ?

I use etcupdate every time I update; I'm pretty sure I saw at least one
other person on this thread who does.  Just to confuse things more,
here's how I usually update:

1) build -current (or whatever) on my build machine which runs 2.0.
Here's the commandlines I usually use:

    rm -rf ~/buildobj; mkdir ~/buildobj
    ./build.sh -U -M ~/buildobj -T ~/tools -x -j4 release

2) Install new kernel on whatever machine I'm upgrading and reboot.  (I
have tweaked various Makefiles so that kernels for all my machines get
built with every "./build.sh release" - it just makes it easier to be
sure I'm ready)  Kernels live in
~/buildobj/usr/src/releasedir/<machine>/binary/kernel - I just copy from
there and ungzip

3) reboot with new kernel.  When I'm feeling paranoid, I reboot single-user.

4) cd into / on target machine; unpack each set EXCEPT etc.tgz and
xetc.tgz with "pax -zrpe -f <path-to-set>"

5) mkdir /tmp/temproot; cd /tmp/temproot

6) unpack etc.tgz and xetc.tgz into /tmp/temproot

7) run "etcupdate -b /tmp/temproot" and merge files

8) reboot

> And by the way : what are your symlinks exactely ?
>
> I use to do that but some soft complain about that config files are
> not "actual" file... can't remember which ones (postfix?) so my file
> remain in /etc, but the symlink is safe in /root. But what to do if I
> don't what those files to be deleted ?

Huh?  Sorry, I don't follow any of this.

+j