Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: David Rio Deiros <driodeiros@gmail.com>
From: Denis Lagno <dlagno@mail.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 03/04/2005 03:16:29
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:49:39AM -0800, David Rio Deiros scribed:
> The problem comes when I reboot the system after doing
>
> 	./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U install=/
>
> Do you follow the same procedure to update your system?

one more option is to build sets with
./build.sh <your_favorite_flags> distribution sets kernel=your_config

then reboot to alternative system (I reboot to NetBSD residing on wd0e)
save your /etc files, remove base system directories,
untar sets with -p flag, copy kernel to /,
restore your /etc files, run (cd /dev; ./MAKEDEV;)
Of course all that can and should be automated by custom script.

By restoring /etc files I do not mean blindly copying all /etc files,
but only those locally modified.  Actually I keep them symlinked
to other location.
At this stage you may want to rebuild sendmail.cf from .m4 file,
and other local stuff.