Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/2005 23:06:44
In article <20050303180303.GA27818@toto.eracks.com>,
	David Rio Deiros <driodeiros@gmail.com> writes:
> I have some questions about running -current.
> Someone told me that the best way to stay current is to just use
> the lastest current kernel but don't recompiling/installing the
> userland applications just that ones you specifically need.

That's a bad advice.

> It seems to me like a very wise advice.

A lot of people actually ran into trouble in the past because they tried
to run new kernels with a very old userland.

> Do you guys think that is right way to stay current?

No. And you will of course miss all the improvements in the userland
which were introduced after the 2.0 release.

> What do you guys do to keep your systems -current?

I build a new kernel and boot it. If that works I build the userland
into a destination area. If that works, too, I install it.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/