Subject: Re: the best way to stay current
To: David Rio Deiros <driodeiros@gmail.com>
From: Jaka Jejcic <jj@gnorw.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/03/2005 19:58:33
On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:49:39AM -0800, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 07:35:48PM +0100, Jaka Jejcic wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:03:03AM -0800, David Rio Deiros wrote:
> > > I have some questions about running -current.
> > > Someone told me that the best way to stay current is to just use
> > > the lastest current kernel but don't recompiling/installing the
> > > userland applications just that ones you specifically need.
> > > It seems to me like a very wise advice. That is what I am doing.
> > > I am running 2.99.16 but I have the 2.0 userlands.
> >
> > Well ... i do the build.sh routine every two weeks and rebuild everything
> > (kernel userland and X) ... after that (if the time permits) I usualy
> > cvs the latest pkgsrc and make update everything there as well, but that
> > usualy doesn't work just as it is and needs minor adjustments and hence
> > I skip it from time to time ;)
>
> I had problems in the past when I tried to install the userland applications.
> I follow this procedure:
>
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating
>
> The problem comes when I reboot the system after doing
>
> 	./build.sh -O ../obj -T ../tools -U install=/
>
> Do you follow the same procedure to update your system?

I first recompile everything into -D (and usualy i build -R .. release as well
so I can create an iso and burn CD in case I'd need to install it somewhere
else in near future) Then I reboot with the new kernel and if it reboots OK
then I install userland as well (and do the postinstall fix stuff as suggested
by build.sh install) ... well, in my case if the complete build went smoothly
and kernel booted as promised I have never had problems with userland...

jj