Subject: Re: NetBSD YP Server compatible with Linux YP Client ?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2005 12:16:18
[Thus spake Hauke Fath ("HF: ") Wednesday...]

HF: More modern Linux OSes have nsswitch.conf, no need to dance the +:::...
HF: dance there.

...unless you put in

passwd:	compat
group:	compat

[which is something that nsswitch will never be able to supplant because
 NIS also supports -user:::::: entries; i.e., the compat mode supports
 inclusion/exclusion on a much more granular level, so please don't
 discount The Dance, as you put it..]

HF: I've got a NetBSD yp master running at work with RH Linux and NetBSD
HF: clients. I did not manage to set up shadow passwd support, but other than
HF: that, the combination runs just fine.

What needs to be done for YP support proper in Linux is the master.passwd
file needs to be massaged into a shadow format

HF: You can set an UID/GID range in the YP Makefile for the accounts to be
HF: included in the passwd map to avoid sending round root passwds.

[this makes WAY too much sense. :) ]

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:
	"Just click on the START button and your journey to the Dark Side