Subject: Re: NetBSD YP Server compatible with Linux YP Client ?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2005 22:14:21
At 12:16 Uhr -0800 25.2.2005, Greywolf wrote:
>passwd:	compat
>group:		compat
>
>[which is something that nsswitch will never be able to supplant because
> NIS also supports -user:::::: entries; i.e., the compat mode supports
> inclusion/exclusion on a much more granular level, so please don't
> discount The Dance, as you put it..]

ISTR that you can get that granularity with netgroups? Not that I ever got
beyond a "good idea, but... not now" wrt netgroups.

>HF: I've got a NetBSD yp master running at work with RH Linux and NetBSD
>HF: clients. I did not manage to set up shadow passwd support, but other than
>HF: that, the combination runs just fine.
>
>What needs to be done for YP support proper in Linux is the master.passwd
>file needs to be massaged into a shadow format

There is even massage code in the yp Magefile for this, but it didn't work
for me. Since  usenet wisdom had it that the security gain is marginal, I
left it at that.

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign