Subject: Re: mysql 4 Problems in Current (2.99.15)
To: Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com>
From: Juan RP <juan@xtraeme.nopcode.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2005 21:58:56
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 08:00:39 -0800
Chuck Silvers <chuq@chuq.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 09:48:06AM -0600, Francisco Valladolid Hernandez wrote:
> > Hi, thanks for your reply.
> >
> > The central problem is that i can't start the mysql daemon (mysqld_safe
> > --user=mysql)
> > I has created the cluster with mysql_install_db ok, ... at the time tha
> > i run the daemon it exit with no information and no backround process.
>
> I just set up mysql for the first time last weekend, and I had trouble
> with this too.  mysql's error log is /var/mysql/*.err.
>
> make sure that everything under /var/mysql is owned by the mysql user.
> that was the main problem I had.

The right way to start mysql, should be running the mysqld script that comes
with the mysql-server package, and it does all these required things before
starting the server.

You can start it via rc.conf:

$ echo "mysqld=yes" >> /etc/rc.conf
$ /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/mysqld start

If you want to copy the rc.d scripts into /etc/rc.d, there is a variable that
does that automatically: PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES.