Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/2005 09:45:32
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:19:07 -0500 William Allen Simpson
<wsimpson@greendragon.com> wrote:

>Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 03:30:33PM +0200, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:
>>

>>>Would it require less resources for anoncvs if it was
>>>only available through cvsup/cvsync/whatever and rsync?
>>>

>>All three of the options you propose have major problems.
>>

>How about one of the newer attempts, subversion?  I recently had a
>project with it, but since I was only using client side, I have no
>idea what the server side is like.

Server side is ... strange. the files are held either as berkeley .DB file
(singular, entire repositary) or as split files to provide faster service,
but not in any 1:1 relationship to the files of the 'project' in question.

one corrupt bit, and you risk loosing the entire held state. It has a
textual dump format but for a large project, with many years history and
branches, this would be quite costly to hold online.

In other respects its very nice, but you have to wonder about the back-end
format until its really well proven in use. I don't know if a subversion
back-end server has suffered catastrophic failure yet, or even bitrot in
only some of its files.

the server is otherwise nice. Its WEBDAV, it understands symlinks, dirname
changes, dir removal. Its possible to tie into it WIKI based tracking
systems, and thus do release engineering against accepted bugs/issues in a
tracker.

cvs importing tools are still immature. I haven't yet tried importing a big
project with branches, a single-thread history is certainly fine.

I suggested subversion to people a few times last year. I now think that
its more likely to be viable later on, perhaps when the server-side stuff
is more clear. Maybe a subversion proponent can rebut/counter this as FUD,
and I would not claim to be an expert.

-George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC