Subject: Re: anoncvs problems
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/05/2005 15:03:52
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 03:30:33PM +0200, Teemu Rinta-aho wrote:

> Would it require less resources for anoncvs if it was
> only available through cvsup/cvsync/whatever and rsync?

All three of the options you propose have major problems.

CVSup is written in Modula-3 and it is basically impossible to build a
native M3 toolchain on NetBSD.  We quite simply refuse to put our users
at risk by running precompiled binaries from third-party sources on our
official servers.

CVSync is a better option, but unfortunately its "pull" model does not
make it possible to do incremental update of the public server in
realtime.  We need to be able to re-scan just _part_ of the tree as
changes are committed to the master repository.

rsync, to be blunt, is a horrible pig.  A single copy of rsync quickly
explodes to tens or even hundreds of megabytes in size, and its disk
access patterns are arguably even worse than those of cvs.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky