Subject: Re: Sweet jesus.
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@gmx.de>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2005 11:18:21
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 01:08:00AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> In article <20050117201452.GD20488@nef.pbox.org> you wrote:
> > [20:10:13] agc@sys3 ~ 3 > uname -a
>
> It may be better to not use the kernel version when speaking of userland
> things. Better use /etc/release:
>
> miyu% grep date /etc/release
>           Build date   Sun Sep 19 18:09:35 UTC 2004

Yes, you're right, we should not really be speaking about kernel
versions.  But /etc/release will simply give the date that the
userland was built, not the date of the sources from which it was
built.

I have a .last-cvs-update file in /usr/src which is touched when that
happens, so that I can find that date.

[11:16:50] agc@sys4 ~ 3 > l /usr/src/.last-cvs-update
-rw-r--r--  1 agc  agc  29 Feb  4 09:01 /usr/src/.last-cvs-update
[11:16:56] agc@sys4 ~ 4 >

The same method is used to denote the date of cvs update for the
pkgsrc bulk build results that I post.

All in all, I build sets, and use them to install kernel and userland
and X, all at the same time.  The same sets are used to recover to a
previous version, should that be necessary.  And many thanks to Martti
Kuparinen for etcupdate, which allows me to do that easily.

Regards,
Alistair