Subject: Re: .cvsignore of *.gmo in binutils OK?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2005 12:04:35
> From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
> I like to add extra tags to the branches, <thing>-old and <thing>-new,
> so I can do:
>
>     cvs admin -n <thing>-old
>     cvs admin -n <thing>-old:<thing>-new
>     cvs admin -n <thing>-new
>
> and the merge can then use "-j<thing>-old -j<thing>-new". Easier to
> type, and should be easier to script, too.

I run cvs log and figure out the previous import's tag and use that.
CVS lacks support for keeping metadata about import history.

>      http://www.netbsd.org/developers/

Which points
  http://www.netbsd.org/developers/cvs-repos/notes.html
which says to use -I .cvsignore, and avoids discussion of merging
third-party sources and the problem at hand.

> > It's arguably a bug that cvs import doesn't do the removal of
> > no-longer-present files itself as part of the import.
>
> Sounds dangerous. I've been playing around with the "import -X" thing
> in cvs 1.12.11, and it seems to work pretty well.

Perhaps, but new files get added automatically.  I suppose without an
'undo' for import, it is.