Subject: Re: .cvsignore of *.gmo in binutils OK?
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/03/2005 08:57:38
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005, Greg Troxel wrote:

>  ".cvsignore" is the only entry in my "~/.cvsignore", so when I import
>  a CVS checkout into my private CVS, the ".cvsignore" files are ignored,
>  but also everything listed in said ".cvsignore" files is ignored.  Is
>  that what you mean?

> So I'm not sure automatically ignoring all things in the upstreams
> .cvsignore files is right.  But it's probably close.

Looking at "binutils" more closely, the ".gmo" files that caught your
attention *are* *not* from the latest import, but an older one, so
that seems to lend support for your idea of trimming the ".cvsignore"
files with a script before importing.  (There's no way to ignore the
*contents* of ".cvsignore" files in the imported tree, except to
delete said files.)

Another data point -- the latest "unstable" version of "cvs" has an
"-X" option to the "import" command, the effect of which is to always
give the developer the suggestion to merge with "-j... -j...", and
once that is done, the developers repository will show "R" for all
removed files, and "A" for all added ones. (Without "-X", the "added"
files are added immediately to the main branch on import, and though
the "R" thing works after a merge, you won't actually be prompted to
do that unless there were other conflicts.)  Had this been done with
this last binutils import, it would have been obvious that the
".cvsignore" files were being added, and the ".gmo" files removed.

Frederick