Subject: Re: wanted: ISP providing NetBSD-based servers
To: Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2005 17:51:57
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:21:10 +0100
Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de> wrote:

> Chris Ross wrote:
> >   Many of the sparcs have really nice LOM functionality.  You
> > can power them off, and a separate processor that's always
> > running lets you check the status of the chassis, power on
> > and off the host, etc.
>
> I recently saw some Dell servers (i386) at my company having
> this feature.
>
> Werner

Some of the mid to high end HP rackmounts support this as well.
You can also assign an IP address to the mgmt module and use a
web browser to control power etc. If you have a java plugin for
your browser, you can grab the console via an applet.

I install suse linux on two such boxes recently, and as I recall, these were
two midrange em64t 1U servers. I opted to just use a plain serial console
though.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing