Subject: Re: wanted: ISP providing NetBSD-based servers
To: Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2005 14:51:49
[Thus spake Werner Backes ("WB: ") 10:21pm...]

WB: Chris Ross wrote:
WB: >   Many of the sparcs have really nice LOM functionality.  You
WB: > can power them off, and a separate processor that's always
WB: > running lets you check the status of the chassis, power on
WB: > and off the host, etc.
WB:
WB: I recently saw some Dell servers (i386) at my company having
WB: this feature.

The suns are very nice in this respect, as are the Dell 1750 and 2650.

The Suns use a serial port for their LOM, and the Dells can be
configured as such;

...however, more often than not, the Dells are
set up to use their own RACADM stuff, which involves a telnet session
to a video emulation port, and if you do not disable a graphic console
(not possible with Windoesn't), i.e. if you don't disable X, you lose
your access to the console.  Fortunately, it does not require a reboot
to regain access -- just turn off X, and you will be able to get
text mode again.

WB:
WB: Werner
WB: