Subject: Re: serial console
To: Co Thai Ngo , David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2005 10:57:35
On Jan 21, 2005, at 14:52, David Laight wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:51:44AM -0700, Co Thai Ngo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I would like to install NetBSD 2.0 by using a serial console with
>> boot-com. But I don't
>>  know if there is any way so that I could change the baud rate when
>> booting the
>>  computer with boot-com without rebuilding the sources. I have to use
>> the dafault baud
>>  rate 9600 while my computer can run with the baud rate 115200. Any
>> suggestion and
>>  comment is appreciated.
>
> For NetBSD 2.0, you should just use the normal bootxx_ffsv1 (or
> equivalent
> for the root filesystem type).  You can set the baudrate using the
> -o speed=<baud rate> option to installboot (use -o console=com0 to
> select
> a serial console).

   David, I think you're misunderstanding his question.  He wants to
perform
the *install* using a serial console.  I do this all the time, but I
must admit,
mostly on sparc's, where it's much easier.

   Looking at the man page for boot(8), there is of course the consdev
command.
But, as you note, it simply allows you to specify use of a serial
console, not
its baud rate.  I myself don't see a way to specify it.  Someone more
familiar
with the boot code will have to speak up.

   If it isn't possible, it should be.  I presume it wouldn't be too
hard to add this
to the bootloader...

                                          - Chris