Subject: Re: scheduler woes on MPACPI kernel
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20050118T054823@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2005 17:09:48
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> The machine is a crappy uniprocessor.  I just wanted to run a
> well-tested ACPI configuration and GENERIC.MPACPI was the only one I
> saw.  It wasn't clear what bits I could turn off to create a fully
> functional uniprocessor ACPI kernel.
>
> Just to explain why I'm bothering with ACPI; I'm setting up a system
> that will eventually be used by a very non-technical person.  I'd
> really like to intercept the front-pannel power and reset buttons so I
> can do a clean shutdown and have one less thing to worry about.

You only need to enable acpi and acpibut in GENERIC and
add powerd=YES to rc.conf to have that support..

Does anyone know if there has been any analysis on the
effect of P4 hyperthreading and MP support of NetBSD,
compared to a UP kernel?

Last time I built the release, I used MP on my HT
box and it seemed to work at least as well as with
a UP kernel.

Teemu

--
teemu@rinta-aho.org       ||  teemu.rinta-aho@iki.fi