Subject: Re: System freeze
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@tac.gw.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/13/2005 09:11:08
On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 21:00 -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> In article <1105567000.292.4.camel@dawn.local>,
> Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net> wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >today I came back to the computer after a while (amule was running in
> >the meantime), and I found it completely freezed in X.  I'm fairly sure
> >that ddb did not work, because the keyboard was irresponsible (caps-lock
> >didn't turn the led on, and typing 'sync' blindly did nothing).
> >
> >So I rebooted and then examined the old dmesg.  I found the following
> >message repeated 50 times:
> >
> >vr0: unable to allocate Tx cluster
> >
> >Any idea about what happened?
>
> I don't know, but I had trouble with some flavors of the Via Rhine cards
> before.

Ugh, it happened again.  This time I exited X windows just when starting
to notice problems (the audio player for example stopped playing) and
X became irresponsible (though I could move the mouse).

When in the console, I saw that message appearing continuously, but it
didn't crash.  I.e., I had no network connectivity at all, and some
apps were stalled (kill -9 couldn't kill them):

Jan 13 00:27:09 dawn /netbsd: vr0: unable to allocate Tx cluster
Jan 13 00:27:40 dawn last message repeated 32 times
Jan 13 00:28:20 dawn last message repeated 17 times
Jan 13 00:29:00 dawn /netbsd: nfs_timer: ignoring error 55
Jan 13 00:29:31 dawn last message repeated 3042 times
Jan 13 00:30:38 dawn last message repeated 6763 times
Jan 13 00:30:38 dawn /netbsd: nfs_timer: ignoring error 50
Jan 13 00:30:42 dawn last message repeated 371 times

(this is because I tried an 'umount /archive' during the failure, which
is nfs-mounted.)

Well, vr seems to be kind of unstable.  I've seen multiple panics in
xhalf() at bootup (during dhclient) since I have this card (more than
a year), but it hadn't caused any more issues up until now :(  Dunno
if this has something to do with my recent upgrade from 2.99.10 to
2.99.12.

Thanks,

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>