Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
To: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/10/2005 20:16:02
[ On Monday, January 10, 2005 at 16:42:03 (-0600), James Chacon wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
>
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 05:32:14PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Sunday, January 9, 2005 at 20:15:02 (-0600), James Chacon wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: HEADS UP: XFree86 3.3.6 has been EOLed
> > >
> > > It was branched for 1.6.2. Thats the entire reason it's actually on a branch
> > > today. 1.6.2 was the first release we started doing this.
> >
> > Hmmm..... right.  But that was a long time ago vs. the HEAD that was
> > removed recently (in terms of changes that are not on the branch).
>
> For changes in the XF3 code? Highly unlikely it's changed much if at all
> there since it was branched...

I invite you do do the "cvs rdiff" to see for yourself!  :-)

I should probably note that I do not have any critical security fixes in
mind here (though there may be some :-) -- this is more a matter of the
current release maint ultra-conservatism vs. maintaining good usable and
_current_ releases and so long as 1.6 is not EOL, I would really like to
see it kept as viable as possible.  X11 is more or less just an
application, especially for those platforms that were using the old
xsrc, and given the fact I've been tracking and using xsrc-current on
netbsd-1-6 I don't see any reason why anyone would even think to object
to merging the just-removed HEAD revisions to the netbsd-1-6 branch.
Note that I can provide all the necessary distrib/sets/lists diffs to
anyone interetsted in them....   :-)

It's one thing to blame lack of volunteer resources on the inability to
do significant branch maintenance, but in this case of xsrc the work has
already been done (by at least me), and I see no reason for holding back.

Once again, just as with the issue of the ahc(4) driver that I've raised
before, it isn't like this is an irreversible update -- and the sooner
the merge is made then the sooner it'll get wider testing.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>