Subject: Re: Centrino Wi/Fi current status
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/2005 10:06:27
--CEK8Nf/5gFSxJ2tb

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 01:48:45PM -0500, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:
  | Greetings:
  |=20
  | My subnotetop drive is getting media errors so I have to take it apart =
  | install a new one.  Since my laptop will be open, I was also considering
  | replacing my power hungry Atheros mini-pci Wi/Fi (802.11abg) card with
  | the original Centrino Wi/Fi (802.11b) card that uses less than half the
  | power.  But before I take it apart, I wish to know:
  |=20
  | 1) What is current status of the Centrino Wi/Fi driver on NetBSD?

I'm using it whilst replying to your message, and have been since
late August 2004 when I imported Damien Bergamini's ipw(4) driver
(for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 MiniPCI 802.11b card.)

  | 2) Can it handle 128bit WEP?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think so.  I still use 64bit ("40bit") WEP.

  | 3) Is anything still broken/unstable with this driver?

I get very occasional wedges with it, and some high thruput network
traffic patterns seem to trigger it.
There's a PR in the database with a workaround, but I haven't tried it.
The ipw(4) driver still needs some minor work.

  | Taking apart a very small subnotebook is very risky, so I would rather
  | make sure the Wi/Fi works before hand and not have to take it apart
  | again.  Especially since I am going overseas tomorrow night for a min.
  | 6 week long business trip and need my laptop.

Changing configuration the night before a long trip is asking for trouble :)

Cheers,
Luke.

--CEK8Nf/5gFSxJ2tb

--CEK8Nf/5gFSxJ2tb--