Subject: Re: anoncvs server available
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Douglas Wade Needham <cinnion@ka8zrt.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/07/2005 12:48:50
	version=3.0.0
Sender: current-users-owner@NetBSD.org

Quoting Jeremy C. Reed (reed@reedmedia.net):
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> > Can you easily change which cvs server you check out from, without doing a
> > complete new checkout?
>
> Use the cvs -d option, like:
>
>   cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.fr.NetBSD.org:/pub/NetBSD-CVS login # password is anoncvs
>
> Use the -d with each use of cvs.
>
> Or modify your many CVS/Root files.

There is one instance where modifying the CVS/Root files is manditory.
I have used the technique described in the section with the title
"Multiple repositories" to merge in local modifications to my copy of
pkgsrc and src.  Some time ago, I wrote a script function which
actually scans for the CVS/Root files, verifies their original
contents, and then updates it to the desired repository.  This script
is essentially

    find . -type f -print | grep CVS/Root | xargs grep -l ${OLD_CVSROOT} | while read f
    do
        echo ${CVSROOT} > ${f}
    done

Works great, and is less filling. ;)

- Doug

--
Douglas Wade Needham - KA8ZRT        UN*X Consultant & UW/BSD kernel programmer
Email:  cinnion @ ka8zrt . com       http://cinnion.ka8zrt.com