Subject: Re: problems with X configuration
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2005 09:23:35

>> ModeLine "1600x1200" ?? 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsyn
>>
>> Where ?? is the refresh rate supported by your flat panel. Probably somethin
>> like 60-80. You can use xvidtune to make this better once it works.
>
>While I don't know about the real problem, note that the ?? is the pixel clock
>int MHz, not the refresh rate (which would be in Hz.)  That would be something
>like 160 for your flat panel.  Just for clarification, not that I think that
>it will help much.

This is what I love about X...  I've received several different,
mutually contradictory, answers.  One gave explicit numbers except for
one value, which was suggested were likely in the 60-80 range.  This
answer says it's more likely to be around 160.  (Aside: this line
appeared in the log -- does that support the 160 hypothesis?)

(II) VESA(0): clock: 162.0 MHz   Image Size:  367 x 275 mm

That aside, the definitive answer was filled with magic numbers whose
origins I don't know.

Another person said to use 'gtf', but noted that it might not work with
my card/driver.  And a fourth said it was hopeless with XFree86, and
that I needed X.Org.

I love X...

Anyway -- my thanks to all, and I'll try these suggestions tomorrow or
Friday, when I'm next at the machine.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb