Subject: Re: problems with X configuration
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Matthieu Herrb <matthieu.herrb@laas.fr>
List: current-users
Date: 01/05/2005 07:52:42
Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I'm having trouble trying to configure X on a new Dell 8400 with a flat
> panel display.  I ran X -configure; it mostly got things right, but
> doesn't seem able to figure out the 1600x1200 resolution that the
> adapter, the screen, and -- "the OS shipped with the box" -- can all
> handle.
>
> I've put the Xlog at http://www.machshav.com/~smb/Xlog; I think the
> problem is that 1600x1200 is described as a "future mode".  I assume I
> need a Modes section; what I don't know is what all the mystical
> numbers should be.  I mean -- I don't even know what a DotClock or an
> hdisp are, let alone what values I should supply....

You log file shows that you've a ATI Radeon card that's not yet
supported by XFree86. You could use X.Org from pkgsrc, which has a more
recent radeon driver that has support for it.

You cannot setup custom modelines with the 'vesa' driver, and I don't
have a clue on why it doesn't use the 1600x200 mode that the BIOS
advertises as 'additional supported mode'. May be you could file a bug
report to XFree86's bugzilla <http://bugs.xfree86.org>.

--
					Matthieu