Subject: SDL-based games and response-time in a desktop environment?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 12/30/2004 15:15:57
Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the input and response
time in SDL-based games (in pkgsrc/games)? I'm noticing the following
problems which make it nearly impossible to play games such as (e.g.)
lbreakout2 competitively when my opponent is on Linux.

. Sound events happen a fraction of a second after the triggering event.

. Mouse response-time is a fraction of a second subsequent to the
movement of the mouse itself, and can be jerky at times.

Most of the SDL-based games are like this, and I thought I'd gotten away
from that kind of thing when I upgraded to an Athlon XP 2500+ w/ 1GB
RAM.

I guess I just never noticed these things in non-gaming use because they
weren't important. So what if xmms takes a fraction of a second longer
to play an mp3? Who cares of the mouse skips half the screen--it made
it to where I moved it didn't it?

Anyway is there some kind of kernel options or sysctl settings I can use
to improve both the speed with which a sound is actually played, and
the responsiveness of these kinds of games?

Nothing else is running in the background, all other non-essential
processes are killed, top reports I have a good half-gig free RAM.. and
I'm at a loss.

I suppose it doesn't help that my Linux-using friend laughs at my
computer. :)

Advice much appreciated,
-Marc
P.S. Please reply to the Reply-To: field. Thanks.