Subject: Re: getting /usr/bin/make out of compatibility mode?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: J Chapman Flack <flack@cs.purdue.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/2004 23:59:27
> Yes, compatibility mode is - and has been - the default since pmake was brought
> to BSD. It is there so that old Makefiles that expect each command to
> be executed in a separate shell to work. Consider:
>
> all:
> 	cd foo && make
> 	cd bar && make

Sure, I understand what compatibility mode is for, it's just that I'm not
writing old Makefiles, I'm writing new Makefiles, and I would like them to
have the new behavior.  Is there anything I can put in the makefile to
specify that I want new behavior, instead of always having to remember -j
on the command line or in the environment?  I've tried:

MAKEFLAGS += -j1

and

.MAKEFLAGS : -j1

and neither one works.

This makes me curious - how much of the build system is still relying on
make running in compatibility mode?  Not saying it's a problem, just
curious - I'd sort of assumed NetBSD had this cool make and was using its
features heavily.  Will things break in a standard kernel or system build
if -j is given to make?

-Chap