Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 packages + pkg_add bug
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Bruno Saverio Delbono <bruno.s.delbono@mail.ac>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/2004 02:46:15
Hi Jeremy,

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> One technique that I use is to download all the packages ahead of time and
> then run pkg_add against local packages.

That breaks something else due to lack of proper dependency checking
(IIRC, there was another package which was missing an older lib and
crashed the entire pkg_add -v gnome). I'll hunt around and also post it.

My main points, re: enhancements needed to NetBSD packaging system still
stand. There have been many attempts in other OS's (rpm, debian, ebuild,
solaris pkgadd etc.) which have shown that it can work. Does anyone else
here feel also feel that this is an area NetBSD can improve in?

I also get the impression that the binary packages (and their tracking)
on ftp.netbsd.org also needs an overhaul.

With warm regards and season's greetings,

-Bruno