Subject: Re: Networking oddity between Debian and NetBSD
To: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/2004 23:12:40
--tbbPUcAgjZRYalGu

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:41:37PM +0100, Markus Illenseer wrote:

> For more reliable tests try pkgsrc/benchmarks/netio. There are Windows an=
d=20
> Linux binaries available in the work/bin directory. Start "netio -S"=20
> (server mode) on one machine and then "netio server_machine_name" on the=
=20
> client-side (or IP). Works through NAT, too.

Here's some data. Maybe there's some issue with the Linux driver for
my Xircom cardbus Tulip card. I'll explore further.

The thing that weirds me out the most is that my throughput to, say, an
ftp server on the 'Net where I have to go *through* my NetBSD gateway
far exceeds my throughput *to* my NetBSD gateway. I'm not sure that I
understand this.

Machines:

NetBSD gateway running 2.99.10/i386
Debian desktop running 2.6.8/i386
Debian laptop running 2.6.8/i386

NetBSD is client, Debian laptop is server:

Packet size  1 KByte:   19363 Byte/s
Packet size  2 KByte:   10985 Byte/s
Packet size  4 KByte:   10426 Byte/s
Packet size  8 KByte:   11459 Byte/s
Packet size 16 KByte:   11459 Byte/s
Packet size 32 KByte:   13095 Byte/s

Debian laptop is client, NetBSD is server:

Packet size  1 k bytes:   587 k bytes/sec
Packet size  2 k bytes:   1161 k bytes/sec
Packet size  4 k bytes:   1024 k bytes/sec
Packet size  8 k bytes:   1166 k bytes/sec
Packet size 16 k bytes:   568 k bytes/sec
Packet size 32 k bytes:   493 k bytes/sec

I'm not sure what causes the disparity between these two runs. This wasn't
a fluke result.

---

Debian laptop is client, Debian desktop is server:

Packet size  1 k bytes:   6961 k bytes/sec
Packet size  2 k bytes:   7011 k bytes/sec
Packet size  4 k bytes:   7007 k bytes/sec
Packet size  8 k bytes:   7006 k bytes/sec
Packet size 16 k bytes:   6333 k bytes/sec
Packet size 32 k bytes:   7033 k bytes/sec

Debian desktop is client, Debian laptop is server:

Packet size  1 k bytes:   454 k bytes/sec
Packet size  2 k bytes:   385 k bytes/sec
Packet size  4 k bytes:   356 k bytes/sec
Packet size  8 k bytes:   418 k bytes/sec
Packet size 16 k bytes:   422 k bytes/sec
Packet size 32 k bytes:   406 k bytes/sec

---

NetBSD is client, Debian desktop is server:

Packet size  1 KByte:   8595 KByte/s
Packet size  2 KByte:   8636 KByte/s
Packet size  4 KByte:   8628 KByte/s
Packet size  8 KByte:   8660 KByte/s
Packet size 16 KByte:   8608 KByte/s
Packet size 32 KByte:   7636 KByte/s

Debian desktop is client, NetBSD is server:

Packet size  1 k bytes:   6000 k bytes/sec
Packet size  2 k bytes:   6602 k bytes/sec
Packet size  4 k bytes:   7180 k bytes/sec
Packet size  8 k bytes:   7409 k bytes/sec
Packet size 16 k bytes:   7379 k bytes/sec
Packet size 32 k bytes:   7434 k bytes/sec

--=20
Mason Loring Bliss         mason@blisses.org        http://blisses.org/
'I' before 'E', except after 'C', unless the word is sufficiently weird.

--tbbPUcAgjZRYalGu

--tbbPUcAgjZRYalGu--