Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: kern/28651: NAT in pf slow with TCP]
To: Mipam <mipam@ibb.net>
From: Teemu Rinta-aho <teemu@rinta-aho.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/2004 19:14:38
Thanks, but no matter how I write the rules and how minimal
and unsophisticated I make the ruleset, it just doesn't work.

Could someone please tell me how these different filters
locate in the stack (i.e. ipfilter, pf and tcpdump) for incoming
and outgoing packets? What I noticed was that when I use
ipfilter, with tcpdump I see packets going out with the IP
source address of the external interface (NAT has taken
place before tcpdump), while with pf I see source addresses
not been changed by NAT yet... Is the pf NAT broken or is the
situation in the output something like this?

socket ------ ipfilter -- tcpdump -- pf ----->

A diagram of the IP stack would be worth a thousand
words. Any links to any related information appreciated!

Teemu