Subject: Re: wireless devices on laptop suggestion
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Florian Stoehr <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2004 09:31:35
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jaka Jejcic wrote:

> I use Intel PRO/Wireless in my IBM T40 without any problems...
> Until this driver was supported I ran PCMCIA based cards:
> - Corega PCCL-11
> - Benq AWL-100
> Which both worked perfectly (both have Prism II chipset)
>
> jj
>

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:57:38AM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
>>> When choosing a wlan adapter, the following list helped me choose, it
>>> neatly displays what chipsets alot of common wlan cards use. And it also
>>> helps with pitfalls such as different versions of cards having different
>>> chipsets.
>>>
>>> http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz
>>
>> Thanks, it's useful.
>>
>>> There are a few more than ath and wi, a quick apropos for 802.11 on my
>>> old current system shows the following...
>>>
>>> ath (4) - Atheros IEEE 802.11 driver
>>> atw (4) - ADMtek ADM8211 802.11 wireless network driver
>>> awi (4) - AMD PCnetMobile IEEE 802.11 PCMCIA wireless network driver
>>> ipw (4) - Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 IEEE 802.11 driver
>>> ray (4) - Raytheon Raylink / WebGear Aviator IEEE 802.11 2Mbps Wireless
>>> wi (4) - WaveLAN/IEEE and PRISM-II 802.11 wireless network driver
>>>
>>> Each manpage outlines which variations of the chipsets are supported.
>>
>> Yes, I see. But I only have few choices here. :(
>> BTW, many of the products didn't mention about what chipset they used on
>> their packsges.
>> Is this supported under NetBSD - corega CG-WLCB-54GL/CG-WLCB-54GT?
>> It's cheaper than others. ;)
>>
>> Thanks for all of your reply!

And if you REALLY want transmit power - say 200 mW compared to the usual
100 mW - have a look at the Senao SL-2511CD PLUS / NL-2511CD PLUS as well
as the "EXT2" versions (external antenna).

The cards are Senao cards, but there are various OEMs around.

Be careful to get a card with Prism-2, not Prism-3 chipset!

I have one -> works great with NetBSD.

You can buy it here: http://store.microcom.us/nl2511cdplusx2.html
Or here: www.firebird.de (note: You're not allowed to use these cards in
the EU).