Subject: Re: wireless devices on laptop suggestion
To: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Staffan_Thom=E9n?= <duck@multi.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/08/2004 00:41:28
Sascha Retzki wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 05:51:22PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 11:15:31AM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, all.
>>>Could someone please suggest me some devices to let me use internet
>>>under wireless environment?
>>>Is USB device also supported?
>>>I found this one 'GW NS54AG' - http://www.planex.co.jp/
>>>It looks fine but I am not sure if it be supported well under NetBSD.
>>>This is a i386 -current system on ASUS L4000L laptop.
>>
>>Hmm, I just saw this pcmcia card 'Cabletron, RoamAbout' be supported
>>under FreeBSD(with Lucent driver). But seems still not to work under NetBSD.
>>

> We have a "Lucent Wlan"-driver, wi(4). I think wi(4) and ath(4) are the
> best choices, from my investigation, the WLAN-market is pretty retarded.
> I have a ath(4)-driven, it works so far. See those both manpages for
> lists of supported devices. (hint: D-Link WAG311 version *2*  is not supported
> by ath(4)).
>
> WRT Notebook-technology, we just have PCMCIA-support. OpenBSD has ath(4) drivers
> with USB-support, so I guess it is easy to write.
> Maybe it is supported, the manpage is wrong then.
> Somebody could clear that up.

When choosing a wlan adapter, the following list helped me choose, it
neatly displays what chipsets alot of common wlan cards use. And it also
helps with pitfalls such as different versions of cards having different
chipsets.

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

There are a few more than ath and wi, a quick apropos for 802.11 on my
old current system shows the following...

ath (4) - Atheros IEEE 802.11 driver
atw (4) - ADMtek ADM8211 802.11 wireless network driver
awi (4) - AMD PCnetMobile IEEE 802.11 PCMCIA wireless network driver
ipw (4) - Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 IEEE 802.11 driver
ray (4) - Raytheon Raylink / WebGear Aviator IEEE 802.11 2Mbps Wireless
wi (4) - WaveLAN/IEEE and PRISM-II 802.11 wireless network driver

Each manpage outlines which variations of the chipsets are supported.

HTH,
  Staffan