Subject: Re: Specifying program to be run, in rc.conf
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/2004 09:58:04
--WKQ7zUpzoH2KEHMN

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 09:15:53PM +0100, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
  | Is there any way to easily specify a particular program to be run,
  | overriding the default, in rc.conf?
  |=20
  | I've seen a diff comparable to the following in SomethingBSD, which
  | below is what I've applied to a recent NetBSD in order to specify
  | a particular program to be used (my own version of ntpd(ate), for
  | example)

It slightly worries me that some people in SomethingBSD don't
understand the flexibility that already exists in the rc.subr(5)
and rc.d(8) framework, and continue to suggest and/or add more
complexity in order to ``solve'' one-off special cases instead of
using what's already there...

I also prefer it if they'd refer to it as ``rc.d'' and not ``rcNG'',
and more fully acknowledge the origins of the rc.d framework.

As for an answer to your question:
	echo 'command=3D/path/to/new/program' >> /etc/rc.conf.d/someprog
(where 'someprog' is the rcvar for the rc.d script you're overriding).

Cheers,
Luke.

--WKQ7zUpzoH2KEHMN

--WKQ7zUpzoH2KEHMN--