Subject: Re: Data modified on freelist
To: None <arto@selonen.org>
From: Shoichi Miyake <smi@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/2004 22:21:05
Hi,

> Just noticed the following on a running system that was upgraded
> yesterday:
>
> Data modified on freelist: word 5 of object 0xc1d28f00 size 156 previous
> type bar (0xc1d28900 != 0xdeadbeef)
>
> The sources came from anoncvs-fi mirror on 20041123, and the kernel also
> has the following patches:
>
> 	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2004/11/21/0006.html
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=26908
>
> The previous upgrade was on November 9th, and prior to today I don't
> remember seeing such warnings. Something to do with the patches
> (directly or indirectly), or with the recent changes in -current?

I found similar malloc warnings yesterday on my cobalt qube2 around
23,Nov, and followings are from /var/log/messages.

Nov 23 18:39:03 cobalt /netbsd: Data modified on freelist: word 0 of object 0xc0
0fc500 size 256 previous type foo (invalid addr 0xdeadbeef)
Nov 23 18:39:23 cobalt /netbsd: Data modified on freelist: word 0 of object 0xc0
107100 size 256 previous type foo (invalid addr 0xdeadbeef)

uname -a output is:
NetBSD cobalt 2.99.10 NetBSD 2.99.10 (COBALT) #13: Tue Nov 23 18:35:03 JST 2004  smi@miyake.ddo.jp:/work/nb/src/sys/arch/cobalt/compile/COBALT cobalt

I booted qube2 and it happend immediately when I started cvs checkout
on fresh filesystem.

I'm sorry but not had further investigation at that time because my
qube2 is really unstable and thought it is because of memory module...

Regards,
Shoichi Miyake