Subject: unbootable new disk?
To: None <current-users@Netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/23/2004 23:29:17
I just tried installing -current (i386, as of today) to a new disk.  The
resulting system wasn't bootable.

On my first attempt, I said "use the whole disk for NetBSD"; the BIOS
told me "no operating system".  I had accepted the defaults on most
things, except that I said to use a serial console.  I redid the
installation, this time saying that it should create an FDISK label,
but with NetBSD the only partition.  I got the first-level boot prompt;
I hit '1' for NetBSD.  It said "Err 3".  Rerunning installboot didn't
fix it; when I tried running 'disklabel -B wd0' (from the installation
CD's shell), I got a usage error for disklabel.

My error?  Or do I need to send-pr?