Subject: Re: ext2fs support broken in -current
To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/13/2004 21:23:47
In message <20041111003544.16323.qmail@patheticgeek.net>"Kevin Lahey" writes
>In message <16773.28745.475481.946196@mogli.lke.rad.klinikum.rwth-aachen.de>
>Markus W Kilbinger writes
>>writing onto ext2 partitions on i386 and mipsel (qube2) produce
>>
>>  panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "vp->v_size == ip->i_size" failed:
>>    file "../../../../ufs/ext2fs/ext2fs_readwrite.c", line 252
>>  syncing disks... panic: lockmgr: locking against myself
>>
>Ummm, I managed to fix the problem with 'df', and rather
>to my surprise, it seems to have fixed up my problem writing
>to the filesystem as well.  The 'df' problem was that statvfs
>was returning a logorithmic fragment size, rather than an explicit
>fragment size in bytes:

Alas, this only postponed the agony of the assert;  I could write
a few files after the patch, but I still eventually got a crash.
I think that the problem may actually *be* the assert.

I checked, and ext2fs seemed to have been working just fine before
the commit that put in the assert;  when I added the assert to
that working code, the assert triggered.  Removing the assert from
the code doesn't seem to exposed any more bugs.

I don't really feel comfortable enough with the filesystem code
to say all this with any confidence.  Could someone else take a look
and tell me if I'm crazy?

Thanks!

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net