Subject: Re: is Dell SATA supported?
To: None <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/11/2004 09:33:09
--m0vRWufqUC70IDnR

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:00:46PM +0100, cube@cubidou.net wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:50:29PM -0500, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> > I'm looking at some Dell desktops, on which I'll run either 2.0 or=20
> > -current.  The Precision 370 MT Workstation has a SATA controller --=20
> > any idea if it's supported by -current?  The Dell documentation simply=
=20
> > says that it's "Integrated Serial ATA".  If it helps, the machine is=20
> > based on the Intel 925X Express chipset.

See my posting last night to port-i386 from a Dimension 8400 with
925X, all works just fine (with -current, I haven't tried any
branches). Overnight, Quentin added the couple of missing PCI Id's
referenced in that which were missing, though I've not yet tested
those.

The only chipset-support issue I know of is that I'll need to use the
X.org server for the (ridiculously overpowered) PCI-Express graphics
card, rather than in-tree X11 - pkgsrc to the rescue, yay!

> Yes.  Beware, though, that we have no support for AHCI, so you might
> have to turn AHCI off in the BIOS (it was on by default on all the new
> Dells I've received so far; Dimension 8400 and Optiplex <something>),
> otherwise accessing the device will fail.

It's on in my BIOS, and hasn't caused me problems.  I'll double-check
that, it was certainly on initially and I don't recall turning it off
when I looked at it; though I was aware of this issue, I wanted to see
what happened myself. Perhaps I did turn it off.

> As for the IDE and SATA part, backporting to -2-0 is very easy, so
> I will send the appropriate pull-up requests for 2.0 release.  The
> AC97 part might not be as welcomed for 2.0.

That will need to be tested carefully, Charles has made a number of
auich fixes in -current recently, and while adding the PCI-Id's to
that driver might Just Work, perhaps the same is not true for the
older auich in 2.0.

--
Dan.
--m0vRWufqUC70IDnR