Subject: Re: is Dell SATA supported?
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/10/2004 23:00:46
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 04:50:29PM -0500, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> I'm looking at some Dell desktops, on which I'll run either 2.0 or
> -current.  The Precision 370 MT Workstation has a SATA controller --
> any idea if it's supported by -current?  The Dell documentation simply
> says that it's "Integrated Serial ATA".  If it helps, the machine is
> based on the Intel 925X Express chipset.

Yes.  Beware, though, that we have no support for AHCI, so you might
have to turn AHCI off in the BIOS (it was on by default on all the new
Dells I've received so far; Dimension 8400 and Optiplex <something>),
otherwise accessing the device will fail.

As for the IDE and SATA part, backporting to -2-0 is very easy, so
I will send the appropriate pull-up requests for 2.0 release.  The
AC97 part might not be as welcomed for 2.0.

Also, if it comes with Gigabit Ethernet, it's likely to get a Broadcom
5751 (since that chip does PCI Express), which works in -current, too.
However, if it's a fxp(4) (Intel 10/100), it might need an addition to
the fxp driver.

Quentin Garnier.