Subject: Re: Is there any other way to install besides boot floppies?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2004 23:51:11
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 10:51:11PM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
>> After ELEVEN (seven of then "brand new") boot floppies I finally got
>> i386 to start installing. It took probably SEVEN to get a netboot to
>> start on SPARC.
>>
>> This is a royal pain in the tuckus. Since I only do this once in a
>> while, I don't usually don't keep up with the install docs, but the
>> install docs are a little iffy, and I don't think they even make new
>> floppies any more.
>>
>> Is there doc on how to install using CD's? I even broke down and put
>> dban (Darik's boot and nuke, the size of a floppy disk) onto CD to wipe
>> out the HD. I'm willing to burn as many CD's as I need as long as I
>> don't have to keep trying the frigging floppies.
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html
>
> And this message doesn't belong to current-users@.  It should have gone
> to netbsd-users@ probably.

The part that does belong:

building from release yields errors in install. The first thing I
remember is that the sed script for wscons dies. Then I can't set the
timezone nor the shell. After booting to shell, I get shell script
errors:
Syntax error "(" unexpected.

If I switch to csh, it tells me the binaries are built for a different
system.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd@twofifty.com