Subject: Re: cpu speed on IBM Thinkpad T42
To: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
From: John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2004 07:44:44
--nextPart1372308.lquhlm5l6n

That was it; I booted before plugging in. Now it shows:

cpu0: Intel Pentium Pro, II or III (686-class), 1694.61 MHz, id 0x6d6
cpu0: features afe9f9bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features afe9f9bf<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX>
cpu0: features afe9f9bf<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,TM,SBF>

Thank you everyone who replied.

On Monday 08 November 2004 06:50 am, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   cpu0: Intel Pentium Pro, II or III (686-class), 598.10 MHz, id 0x6d6
>   cpu0: features afe9f9bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR>
>   cpu0: features afe9f9bf<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CFLUSH,DS,ACPI,MMX>
>   cpu0: features afe9f9bf<FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,TM,SBF>
>   pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1
>
>   It should be 1.7GHz.
>
> Did you boot it while on battery?  This almost certainly has 'enhanced
> speedstep' or something, and there is some way (ACPI I think) to
> adjust the CPU speed.  I believe the default at boot is full if on
> power and low if on battery, and then the BIOS expects the OS to
> control this.  Some FreeBSD folks have added support for adjusting the
> speed after boot depending on the load average:
>
> http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-est/

=2D-=20

John R. Shannon
john@johnrshannon.com