Subject: Re: softdeps + 2.0_RC4 = crash
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dmitri Nikulin <setagllib@optusnet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/2004 02:23:00
Jukka Marin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am now running the 2.0_RC4 kernel on my desktop system.  I can still
>crash the system with gimp.  All I need to do is save a large image to
>/tmp (where the gimp swap file also lives).  The system panics (I guess,
>can't see the console behind X).
>
>If I save the file to network disk, the system does not crash (not now,
>at least).
>
>I would like to use softdeps as they make the system much faster (when
>compiling stuff, for example) - so are softdeps really this broken or
>have the bugs been fixed in -current?
>
>Thanks,
>
>  -jm

As far as I can tell, this only applies to UFSv2 w/ softdeps. Let me try
GIMP now (I use UFSv1 in case of emergency recovery necessity)... no,
worked fine. /tmp is a symlink to /var/tmp (which is UFSv1 w/ softdeps)
and I saved a gargantuan image there without issues... really quickly
too, I might add.

This must be only with UFSv2 (as I've heard in other parts of the lists)
or something. I'm running a 2.0rc4 kernel from a couple of days ago
without any stability issues whatsoever.