Subject: Re: Using Xfree86's "current" sources for xsrc
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/2004 08:58:29
In article <418BF64D.8090701@berklee.edu>,
	lguillaume@berklee.edu (Louis Guillaume) writes:

> My workaround is to check out the latest CVS from XFree86.org and build
> using the standard "make World" deal, installing over the
> NetBSD-delivered xsrc. Now everything works, apparently there is a new
> driver that recognizes my hardware.
>
> Is it possible to set a flag of some sort such that, when I run
> ./build.sh [...] -x [...] release, it will use the "current" XFree sources?

No! Sure, you could do "-V X11SRCDIR.xc=.../xc", but there's no reason
at all to think the NetBSD build mechanism will work with that without
modification.

> Or, even better, have some kind of CVS tag that causes a checkout of
> xsrc to grab the sources from XFree86.org instead of from netbsd.org.

Same as above.

> My initial suspicion is to just replace the "xc" directory in xsrc with
> the updated one, but I would not want to break anything.

Right. (It would almost certainly break something.)

> Any advice would be most appreciated.

I would recommend you try an out-of-the-box build of XFree86, and
install it to its own heirarchy.  Once sucessful, you could make
"/usr/X11R6/bin/X" a symlink to your new X server, and everything will
work as before, except using the new server.  What's more, any software
or packages you build subsequently will still use the NetBSD/XFree86
libraries, with no dependencies on the development version of XFree86.

You can accomplish this by adding something like the following to
".../xc/config/cf/host.def":

#ifndef ProjectRoot
#define ProjectRoot /usr/XFree86
#endif
#ifndef NothingOutsideProjectRoot
#define NothingOutsideProjectRoot YES
#endif

and then doing a "make World && make install && make install.man" in
".../xc".  Fix as needed.

It's also possible to set defines to build only the X server, but if
you're on a decently fast host with plenty of hard drive space, I would
just go ahead and build the whole thing.

You should also know that NetBSD will likely switch to an X.org release
in the near future, so it would make sense to keep the XFree86 X server
in a place where it won't be overwritten by some future NetBSD update.

Frederick