Subject: Re: etcupdate error
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@myrealbox.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/2004 22:43:55
On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 09:11:45AM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 02:55:20PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> > > Hi, all.
> > > Affer everything building and installing finished, I tried to update the
> > > /etc on my box. Then just got such error message:
> > >
> > > bee# /usr/sbin/etcupdate -s /usr/src/etc
> > > *** Creating /tmp/temproot
> > > *** Populating /tmp/temproot from /usr/src/etc
> > > install: etcsubmit.cf: stat: No such file or directory
> > > bee#
>
> Hmm, I tried to trace it.
> 1. In /usr/bin/etcupdate, it jump to /usr/src/etc then 'make distribution'.
> 2. When 'make distribution', it will install configure file for sendmail.
> [...]
> ..if (${MKSENDMAIL} != "no")
>         ${MAKEDIRTARGET} ${NETBSDSRCDIR}/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf configinstall
> ..endif
> [...]
> 3. In the Makefile in above directory, I found these codes -
> [...]
> ..if !defined(SENDMAIL_SUIDROOT) || ${SENDMAIL_SUIDROOT} != "yes"
> CONFIGFILES+=           etcsubmit.cf
> FILESDIR_etcsubmit.cf=  /etc/mail
> FILESNAME_etcsubmit.cf= submit.cf
> ..endif
> [...]
>
> Then I can't find etcsubmit.cf in ${NETBSDSRCDIR}/gnu/dist/sendmail/cf/cf
> :(

I've never been able to figure this one out... for example, etcupdate works
Just Fine(tm) on my fileserver, where /usr/src actually resides. But, on my
machines where /usr/src is an nfs mount from the fileserver, it barfs on the
etcsubmit.cf thing 100% of the time. However, if I don't delete
/tmp/temproot, and then start etcupdate again, it works. I'm pretty sure I
lose on submit.cf updates, but I don't run sendmail, so that's never
bothered me.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII