Subject: Re: unofficial poll about new logo
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/2004 13:42:13
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:59, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 12:07, Sean Davis wrote:
> >
> >> And the Daemon is no more FreeBSD than it was NetBSD, or even than it
> >> was OpenBSD before they went to their blowfish logo, which I hate, but
> >> I'm sorry to say is quite a lot better than our new "Orange Flag"
> >> logo.
> >> The Daemon was BSD. Plain and simple. People who thought it was only
> >> FreeBSD weren't the type of people who'd notice NetBSD in the first
> >> place anyhow.
> >
> > If, by the 'Daemon', you mean Beastie, then I think you'll find that the
> > copyright on it is held by Marshall Kirk McKusick
> > (http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/daemon.html).
> >
> > Now you might not care about IP law suits, but I'm glad to hear that TNF
> > does.
>
> Huh? Do you mean that NetBSD suddenly weren't allowed to use the demon,
> and that McKusick threatened to sue NetBSD???

I've no idea whether he threatened to or not, but that's not relevant:
TNF clearly doesn't hold any rights to the Daemon, and it's generally a
bad idea to rely on the good will of another agent in these conditions;
especially when that agent is associated with a different group
operating in a similar field.

R.