Subject: Re: Not possible to use VLAN interface until parent is configured?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Johan_Ihr=E9n?= <johani@autonomica.se>
List: current-users
Date: 10/27/2004 23:32:06
On Oct 27, 2004, at 22:27, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 04:17:21PM +0200, Christoph Kaegi wrote:
>> On 27.10-20:51, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>>> The parent interface doesn't need to have protocols configured (ie,
>>> an
>>> ip address), but it does need to be up.
>>>

>> I also seemed to need to enable arp explicitly, e.g.
>>
>>   ifconfig_wm1="up arp"
>
> up is enouth on all my systems, including some ste.
> But I do it with an /etc/ifconfig.* file, not /etc/rc.conf.
> Maybe a but in the way ifconfig_* variables are parsed ?

I can live with either, as long as I understand what's needed.
Apparently I must be mistaken when I thought that this (the parent
interface being up) was not previously needed. I have no indications of
any parsing errors, in my case the parent was clearly *not* up and that
was the source of it all.

Thanks to all of you for helping out.

Johan