Subject: Re: mounting MacOS X UFS filesystem on NetBSD/i386 2.99.9
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Mark Davies <mark@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: current-users
Date: 10/24/2004 01:35:15
On Sunday 24 October 2004 00:34, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> It may be something label related?  From the recent wedges discussion,
> it seems Apple uses some partition table format of its own, though it
> sounds to me like you're using MBR partitions.  Is there an apple
> partion table inside one of the MBR parts?

Only if the Mac wrote one.

History of the disk as I remember it:

On NetBSD:
Use fdisk to create the MBR with 2 partitions: initially FAT32 and NetBSD.
use disklabel to create matching disklabel.  Initially put a NetBSD ffs in the
NetBSD partition.

Let Windows XP format the FAT32 partition.

Some time latter decide I want to share the Unix partition between NetBSD and
MacOS and it looks like I can do this if its a MacOS X UFS so:

Use "Disk Utility" on the Mac to erase and reformat the second "Volume" on the
Disk as "UFS".  (doing this caused disklabel on NetBSD to report partition f
as Apple_UFS rather than 4.2BSD)

Which gets me to where I am currently: the Mac can see the Volume the NetBSD
box fails to mount.

cheers
mark