Subject: Re: How to sort with colorls ?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Chris Wareham <chriswareham@chriswareham.demon.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 10/21/2004 10:33:01
Herb Peyerl wrote:

> 'colorls' is not part of the base NetBSD system. It is a 'pkg'... That
> means for unsupported features, you really should check the project
> homepage for colorls and see if they provide any forum where you can ask
> them this question...

colorls doesn't have a homepage, it was a trivial change to the code of
ls that was made about ten years ago IIRC.

> IMO, 'colorls' is one of those abortions that the legions of 12 yr old
> Linux programmers decided was important, but didn't fully or correctly
> implement...

colorls is definitely not an abortion - it's an elegant hack to the
FreeBSD ls which like the NetBSD one is very similar to the original
4.4BSD code. If you meant that the idea of colorised ls output is an
abortion, then I'd strongly disagree. I find it a very useful aid to
seeing what the type of a file is, and much clearer that the annotated
output of ls -F.

Chris