Subject: Re: Soekris Net4801 vs. -current
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 10/20/2004 06:15:04
In message <20041020110754.GF4262@apb-laptoy.apb.alt.za>, Alan Barrett writes:
>I seems to happen exactly once per boot, around the time that the
>relevant partition is accessed by cgdconfig/fsck/mount.  After the
>error, everything works fine.  (In case it makes a difference, wd0e is
>the backing store for cgd1, cgd1 does not have a disklabel, and cgd1d
>is an FFS file system.)  I am not sure whether the error always happens
>with the same sectors or at exactly the same time.  The old disk did not
>do this, and there were no kernel changes at the same time as the disk
>change.

Okay.

Followup:  It turns out that the problem is that some modern CF cards report
themselves capable of DMA, because they are, and the IDE controller may
also be capable of DMA - but the actual wires to make it work aren't
installed, because everyone knows CF cards don't have DMA.  So you need
the flags set on wd0 to tell it not to use DMA, and all is well.  Yay for
the Soekris-tech list.

-s