Subject: Re: syspkg dependencies
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/19/2004 00:53:22
On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 12:35:42AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20041019045043.GK17288@che.ojctech.com>, David Young writes:
> >It's not dead, it's just sleeping.  I don't think it makes much sense
> >to take steps with syspkg until some anticipated "new & improved" pkg
> >utilities become available.  The existing pkg-utilities codebase is a
> >dead end.
>
> Fair enough.
>
> On a related note, then:  Is there an easy way to build a -current system
> with no Kerberos code at all?  Apparently putting "KERBEROS=no" in
> /etc/mk.conf is not sufficient.
>
> Context is, I'm trying to build a moderately-minimal distribution for
> installation on flash cards.
>
> Although, I think, I'm about to just admit that in practice I'd be better
> off just buying 256MB flash cards and letting some space be "wasted".

Peter,

I believe my project uses MKKKERBEROS=no USE_KERBEROS=no.  We omit a
lot of other things, too.

We are building small routers for CompactFlash.  We have an ugly script,
'mkstaboot', that builds NetBSD, pares it down, and then installs
routing and other software.  It is in our public source repository under
trunk/src/boot-image/.  Available for browsing:

    CVS: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wireless
    Subversion: http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw

or checkout:

    cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wireless login
    cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/wireless \
        co cuw-trunk

    svn checkout http://svn.cuwireless.net/svn/cuw/trunk

Luke Mewburn has a framework for building small systems in src/distrib/.
It's used for building crunched boot floppies and stuff.  My colleague
Bryan had started converting us to that, but he had to put the work aside.

If we can work together to make smaller CompactFlash routers, that
would be great.

Dave