Subject: Re: V2 RC2 shows and uses wrong partition table entry
To: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 10/12/2004 12:21:33
[Thus spake Sascha Retzki ("SR: ") 2:28pm...]

SR: From: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
SR: On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:07:23PM +1000, thilo wrote:
SR: > Greetings folks,
SR: >
SR: > I just build the wholes release on a 120Mhz box (about 56hours),
SR: >
SR:
SR: wow :)
SR:
SR: >
SR: > but the new kernel treated wd0c like an mirror of wd0a.
SR: > disklabel actually showed they where in the same sectors....
SR: >
SR:
SR: wdNc is "the whole NetBSD" partition/disklabel or a pointer to the first,
SR: I don't recall for sure.
SR: Just sounds like the new one works as aspected, at least to me.

the 'c' partition is the whole NetBSD partition.  It almost always starts
at the same place as the first usable partition (usually 'a').  compare
'd', which is the Whole Damn Disk, with a 0-byte offset.

[most other platforms don't use 'd' in this manner and just use 'c' to
mean 'whole disk', starting at 0.  you can thank the whole inhel/bios/MBR
idiotsyncrasy for this discrepancy.]

				--*greywolf;
--
912559 12648430 5UCK5 R0CK5.